Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lost another chick.....

Little Peep


It was a sad day in the Tyson house on Thursday. Little Peep died. She was the smallest of the flock and the cutest. I guess she got too hot or the other ones keep her from eating/drinking. She was definitely the kids and my wife's favorite. That is part of life I guess. She was small and not growing for a reason. I just hate that part of it. We put a lot of time and effort into keeping these chicks happy and content. Feeding them the best possible food, giving them fresh grass to roam during the afternoon so that they can be chickens, eating bugs and plants. Anyway, we are now down to seven in our flock.


On another note about chicken keeping, it's not easy. It is a round the clock effort while they are young. I know on several occasions my beautiful wife would get up in the middle of the night (sometimes more than once) to check the temperature of the brooder to make sure it was just right.


Little Peeps peeps.

So priority #1 is keeping them warm (always concerning), checking there water (always pooping in it), and making sure they have enough food and removing pine shavings (always scratching pine shavings in the food). So, before we go to work, I'm emptying the water an giving them a fresh refill, the kids and my wife are scooping up litter and cleaning out the food container. The same process start again when we get home. I think now I'll be glad when they get big. It does get easier!

Quote of the day:

"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic: but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country."

William Jennings Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment