Friday, August 7, 2009

Chipotle's Sustainable Burrito....



I have been reading about the restaurant chain, Chipotle, lately. Chipotle is a type of quick service restaurant chain which serves various types of burritos. The CEO is committing its restaurants to better, healthier meats, which they pay a premium for. They are starting with pork, which the get from Polyface farms, in all of there Charlottesville, VA stores.


This got me thinking about some opinions I've read about "natural" or "organic" grown foods and it's inability to feed the mass population. For me to read these opinions is somewhat frustrating, because I see models that are succeeding, ie...Polyface Farms in Virginia, White Oak farms here in Bluffton, Georgia, Growing Power in Wisconson, Carlton Farms in Cartersville, GA just to name a few. These farms produce large amounts of "natural" or "organic" foods. Obviously for this "movement" of eating healthier, non-contaminated food to progress we must have a paradigm shift. Yes, these foods are more expensive, which I know is a draw back to a lot of people, but you get what you pay for. No antibiotics, no hormones, no un-natural genetically altered foods, no pesticides, no herbicides, just food that has been grown to be righteous by farmers who care about the end result.


So I think Chipotle should be applauded for pioneering a movement to serve clean, green, natural meat to it's customers instead of misleading them. It can be done!




Quote:


What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are. ~Epicletus

1 comment:

  1. I think you nailed it. I get tired of hearing how nothing is wrong with our food system by folks that have no clue. It is that mind set the prevents change. People don't realize that I can be a Christain man and believe in natural and organics as the answer to beeter quality food and health.

    I believe you and I we split at birth. Keep up the passion for a better food system.

    Don

    ReplyDelete