Saturday, July 4, 2009

Got knee deep in it yesterday.....



I have been wanting to try used beer mash in my compost for a while now. I saw first hand how good it worked at Growing Power and I was on a quest to find some. Well, calling around to several different brewery's, I found 5 Seasons Brewing Company restaurant.

So yesterday, I took my lunch loading up my four - 25 gallon containers full of the stinkiest stuff I've smelt in a long time. I had to leave the windows open on the way home it was so bad. Not to mention I was not feeling well, which I can tell you, when you have a stomach ache never mess with used beer mash! Well, after getting home late in the afternoon, the stuff was so heavy it nearly gave me a hernia trying to get it out. Rolled it down to the compost pile (you didn't think I was that stupid to carry it down there?) with my hand truck.

Now convincing the kids to help. I should win a trophy for this one. I was a little worried that my old, tired line, " Hey boys, you want to help Dad scoop this stuff on the compost pile?" wouldn't work this time. It was only 100 degrees and no wind with nice stinky smelling stuff to boot. So I had to resort to something drastic. Maybe, just maybe, threatening laps and push-up might do it. (I would give them water. I'm not that bad.) Well, change of heart or more importantly, saving mine. Heat, dehydration, stomach ache! I decided to wait till the weekend. Just too hot!

Happy Fourth!


Quote of the day:
"Government has laid its hand on health, housing, farming, industry, commerce, education, and to an ever-increasing degree interferes with the people's right to know. Government tends to grow, government programs take on weight and momentum as public servants say, always with the best of intentions. But the truth is that outside of its legitimate function, government does nothing as well or economically as the private sector of the economy."

Ronald Reagan



2 comments:

  1. We thought you stopped writing?? Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott...
    I know this comment dont have anything to do with this current topic, but I didnt see anywhere else to leave a comment.

    Just thought I would let you know that ABC evening news did a feature on Polyface farms last night. They were discussing how "happy" hogs made better tasting pork, etc. Chipotle mexican restaurants buy 92% of their meat from Polyface farms and are trying to make it 100%. The guy whom owns Chipotle, was on there with Joel discussing how much better it was for the animals to free range, with no antibiotic/steroids added to their feed. Also, he was very concerned with how "big commercial" hog farms treated the animals and the severe smells of amonia in the big pens effected livestock... and how the hogs n beef kept crowded together in tiny pins always looked terrifed and not as healthy as Polyface farms.

    While Chipotles costs of meat are higher than their competitors, it makes more money due to repeat customer satisfaction....

    You may be able to catch ABC.com and find the piece they done on it .... Just a thought

    ReplyDelete