Monday, July 20, 2009

Chickens Love Bad Squash....


The title kinda says it all. The chickens are the benefactors of squash vine borer infestation. (That is my new attitude toward loosing my plants because Nicole said I was getting to upset over squash, and she was probably right) This weekend marked the end of my beloved squash vines I planted in spring. We pulled them up and opened up the vines to expose the fat squash vine borer larvae. My wife and I had several vines sitting near the chickens. As we opened each one it was a fight (like we were giving away free money at the bank) for position as the tasty larvae were exposed for the taking.

It is one of the most amusing things watching these chickens do just about anything. They are very busy and are constantly looking for food. Watching them chase a cricket or a moth is must see TV. Anyway, enough about that.

I, in my determination to get more squash by the end of summer, have started more plants. It is now time for experimentation. I have already coated the butternut squash with wax on the stems and I am going to try aluminum foil on some of the others to see if it really is a deterrent. Maybe even some scotch tape with the sticky side out, who knows. The point is, I may have lost the battle, but I am determined to win the war!




Quote:
"There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling."
~Mirabel Osler



3 comments:

  1. Hey man, I thought you quit writing. When is the speech to the county? It's got to go good, because to many people need it! Also, we want more pictures of the chickens!!

    Don, Judy and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll try and post some later in the week. The speech is on Wednesday.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction, the speech is today (Tuesday), thanks to my beautiful wife for reminding me that I had my days wrong. Getting ready to head there now.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete