Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My First Blog.....A Reason To Believe.




Well, my name is Scott. I am a compulsive farmer. My wife, Nicole, and I own around 10 acres in Sharpsburg, Georgia that we are in the process of turning into a small organic farm.
Let me begin by writing about tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. I have a meeting with Coweta County to ask for a variance on our property. This will grant us commercial farm status and allow us to sell our products on our farm. We will need lots of prayer for this one!


In our dreams, my wife and I envisioned a farm that would be profitable, sustainable, allow us to be closer to our kids and family, and be a blessing to our community via workshops and volunteer participation. We have had inspiration from several different sources for our model. Hoop house aquaponics, composting like "crazy" people, (both Will Allen inspired, hence the words crazy people and composting used the same sentence) and pasture raised chickens for eggs and meat (Joel Salatin inspired). The most important thing I have learned from all of this so far is, without great soil there is not great potential.




Growing Power's aquaponics system. They grow a tremendous amount of food using this system. Will Allen speaking at a workshop I attended in mid-May 2009.


There are still certain things that need to be worked out.
  • Primary and secondary operations. (Joel term)
  • Selling our home so that we can move onto the farm on a full time basis.
  • Knowing who we are going to sell to before we have product to sell.
  • Sourcing out large quantities of composting material and how to haul it.


With all that said (or written), I'll leave you with a quote:

"Agriculture, manufactures, commerce and navigation, the four pillars of our prosperity, are the most thriving when left most free to individual enterprise." Thomas Jefferson


No comments:

Post a Comment