Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Making Worm Tea...

We did some fun (but equally exhausting) stuff over the past weekend. But the highlight (yuk, yuk, yuk) was sorting out all the worms in our worm bed and making compost (worm casting) tea.

I had some containers that I had used previously to pick up fish for stocking the lake. I had already drilled a hole in the top of each one for the air hose to go through. So I got some crop cover fabric (my wife's great idea, worked brilliantly) and piled a couple of big scoops in and tied it up so it wouldn't leak out. Plopped it into the container filled with water and sealed it up. Turned on the aerator and BAM. Compost Tea. Uh, except for one thing. I may have killed all of the microorganisms. I didn't let the water sit so the chlorine could evaporate. What a bone head! Well, at least there is a lot of nutrients besides the living stuff. Still not bad for making my own fertilizer and foliar spray for the first time.

We will see how well it works and I will write about it. By the way, I found this picture below of the anatomy of a worm. Thought it was pretty interesting, since I could never figure out exactly where there mouth was and how they ate. Neat.

Quote of the Day:

2 Corinthians 9:6[ Sowing Generously ] Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.


  1. That always seemed a little to complicated for me. My wife doesn't like worms either. Maybe I can just sneak them in the garage. Undercover worms!

  2. Another nice blog. Look forward to them.