Friday, December 11, 2009

Jumping into Facebook & Other Fine Plans....


As winter sets in, as it definitely has this morning (25 degrees), it gives us time to plan things for the coming spring. One of those things we finally did yesterday is putting the farm on Facebook. I have resisted for so long because it seems so darn confusing, but now we have done it. Let me tell you, I feel kind of ridiculous  seeing folks my grandfathers age on there and I here we are trying to figure the whole think out. I feel like a gorilla trying to put a square block in a round hole. Anyway....

First, getting crops in the ground in the spring. Right now it looks daunting because of all of the rain and I can't get my topsoil delivered. It is very frustrating hoping it won't rain for a week so we can take delivery. It takes a lot of prayer every day asking for patience because it seems I'm running out of it these days.


Two, we want to start our first CSA this coming spring. Hence the reason I want the topsoil. That seems to be the biggest commitment we have planned yet. I will be posting a link on the the 180° Farm website in the next week or so for folks that are interested in participating and more information will be available then as well.

 Three, we are hosting two workshops in March and possibly two in June. It is going to be pretty exciting. The person we are working with to instruct the workshops had formally been working at the foremost authority in composting/vermicomposting and hoophouse construction in the world. At the time we are planning on a Saturday/Sunday in late March with a cost at around $65-$75 per day, lunch will be included.

Lastly, we are planning a few documentary screenings in Coweta County. Our newest board member and I will try and plan this for the upcoming month. I really believe that some of the new food documentaries that have come out over the last year or so have a tremendous impact on the people who view them. Just the other day, my son Camron was watching Food Inc. with me. During the movie, he would look at me with just this disbelief that this stuff was really happening. After the movie was over, this movie had lit a fire under that kid that I had never seen before. He now wants to help us with the farm were as before he wasn't very passionate about it. I expect to see similar passion within the community as awareness spreads and people become more educated on where there food "really" comes from.

One more thing....We need volunteers! If you would like to be involved please email us. We also are in need of tools. Used, in working order, hand tools and wheel barrels.

Quote:
"I find it fascinating that most people plan their vacation with better care than they do their lives.Perhaps that is because escape is easier than change."


~Jim Rohn

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on breaking the Facebook resistance! We still haven't given in yet. Maybe ......never. Nice blog, Scott.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    Timely as always. Glad to get your insight. We resisted for a long time and had to join the populous.

    ReplyDelete