Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is It A Hen or A Rooster?....



Strange question, I know. One I thought I knew. Well, laying in bed on a Saturday morning, sleeping in, I hear the weirdest sound. Something like a ur-a-urrr-a-uh. Not what you would expect from a chicken, and certainly not from a rooster.

My wife, with her great instincts, runs outside to see what was making the sound. A few minutes later she comes in and tells me "I think we have a rooster." Oh crap! Something I have to take care of pretty quickly because I promised the neighbors I wouldn't have roosters.

We decided to wait another day just to make sure. And what do you know, ur-a-urrr-a-uh. He did it 4 times. This time my wife caught him in the ur-a-urrr-a-uh act. So, what next. I built a make shift killing cone out of flashing and duck tape. Ah, yes, duck tape. Here is another use for duct tape. So, I loaded him up and "took care" of the problem(for the squeamish at heart, I'll keep it clean). Nicole heated up some water to 140 degrees. I brought in the rooster and scalded the feathers and we plucked him. Not much meat, as Black Australorps are bread for laying more so than meat. What an experience!

One more, much more important thing:

Happy 15th year Anniversary to my beautiful wife! She is a saint for putting up with me for that long. I love you!!



Quote:

"Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate." ~Barnett R. Brickner

1 comment:

  1. It seems you're doing better with your marriage than telling chickens apart! Congrats,
    Don & Judy

    ReplyDelete