Thursday, July 9, 2009

Where Does Your Meat Come From?

The Bad: pictured here. Where is the grass?
I was talking to my mother the other day and she brought up something very interesting. When she was at the grocery store (won't name the grocery store to protect the innocent, namely me) the other day she noticed on a "tube" of ground beef that it's country of origin was Mexico, Canada and the US. WOW! So much for quality control.

The Good: Exactly what a cow should be eating!

Picture Source:http://foodchannel.l1.mysmarthost.com


I got to thinking, all these processing plants with beef from all over God's green earth. Where is the accountability? Where is the face of the farmer? Not there. I'm sure there are SOP's, quality control, etc..etc.. But how do you control quality from another country? Take their word for it? Tour their facilities? Oh yea, there are announced visits by the way! They know when to put lip stick on the cow, dress the place up all nice and pretty so the Q&A people leave that country patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Scary!



My wife and I are in the process of finding local beef farmers to purchase meat from. When you buy from the farm you can choose any amount and cut you want. This was typical back in the "old days" and is starting to make a big come back. I think people are tired of getting sick and having to depend on the government to solve problems the free market would have solved a long time ago. I think it is nice to know the farmer, know what he stands for, what he gives his cows and more importantly what he won't give them.


Anyway, don't take my word for it, take a look at the tubes of ground beef on your next trip to the grocery store. You will probably see what I mean.


Quote:
"A farm regulated to production of raw commodities is not a farm at all. It is a temporary blip until the land is used up, the water polluted, the neighbors nauseated, and the air unbreathable."
Joel Salatin

3 comments:

  1. I am extremely lucky to have an organic fed beef farmer, just down the road from me. Theres no doubt in my mind or tastebuds, that naturally grown beef is better. The grain and texture of the meat is what makes the taste better. He is currently raising Angus and will take your order a couple months ahead of time, that way he can move the beef to different types of fields to gain weight naturally.

    Nice column today...great topic.

    Hillbilly Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This topic is hot on our minds right now. Sourcing a farmer that does things right to his cattle, environment and customers is at the top of our list as we will not be raising cattle, just chickens, pigs and goats/sheep. Hillbilly Glenn, I'm always glad to hear from you.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete