Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Too Bad The Really Big Tomatoes Come Early....

This beauty weighed 1lb 6 oz. Nice, Virginia Sweet variety.


I have been growing tomatoes for a long time. It seems to be rule rather than the exception that the biggest, beach ball size tomatoes that I have grown have been in July. Usually the first ones off the vine. I know if I play around with crop yields (pulling some of the baby tomatoes off the plant) I can still get the hot air balloon size tomatoes. But that just doesn't seem right and I could never sleep again knowing I threw away food. :)


Between the both of them, about three pounds of tomatoes.


Anyway, I figure if I keep saving the best of the best seeds from the biggest tomatoes every season, I might be able to naturally modify the plant to produce dinner plate tomatoes regularly. The fun is in the "trying". Plus, I'm getting quiet a collection of seeds. Who knows, maybe I could have my very own variety one day and I'll call it "beach ball, hot air balloon, dinner plate, multi colored tomato". It may not happen, but it's fun thinking about it.


Quote:

“Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.”
- Dwight D. Eisenhower


1 comment:

  1. Just found this blog. Very inspiring and nicely done. You and your family seem very down to earth and really trying to do the right type of farming. I'll save this to my favorites and check back daily.

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete